Quite often the search for the cause of alleged indoor air-related illnesses has focused on ventilation issues, such as poor air circulation, mold damage or the presence of chemicals in the workplace. Recently, however, greater attention has been given to the “Sick Building Syndrome” and the effect of microbiological agents, such as Mycotoxins, mVOCs and Allergens like Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Stachybotrys chartarum, and how they impact indoor air quality. In these cases the only course of action is mold remediation.
Buildings should be checked for mold as part of the routine maintenance. Look for evidence of water damage and visible mold. Conditions that cause mold such as water leaks, condensation, infiltration, or flooding, should be corrected immediately.
If you think that things can’t get any worse than water damage in your home or business, think again. They can get worse, and most certainly will, if you do not take prompt and proper action. Mold and mildew are direct results of water damage, following rapidly on the heels of the problem and making an already bad situation downright dire.
Most molds are harmless, and we encounter them in nature almost every day. Nature uses mold to break down dead organic matter, generally keeping our environment clean, and for this reason alone it is a valuable element. Unfortunately, when water damage triggers mold inside the home, then it becomes a problem. Mold spores are found in large concentrations throughout the home, and when inhaled they can bring a number of health hazards into play. This includes allergic reactions, watery eyes, sneezing, headache….and some forms of mold such as the notorious Black Mold (Stachybotrys chartarum or Stachybotrys atra) may cause neurological and respiratory disorders that require the attention of a physician.